The Wheaton Municipal Band Announces the 2nd Annual High School Concerto Competition. Instrumentalists and Vocalists are invited to compete for one of two opportunities to perform with the Wheaton Municipal Band. Along with the opportunity to perform with the WMB, each winner will receive $500 in scholarship money.
Students must meet the following criteria:
1. Be a high school student or an 8th grader entering high school.
2. Either live in Wheaton or attend a Wheaton public or private high school.
3. Be able to perform on Thursday, June 16 at 8:00 p.m.
4. Be available to rehearse on Wednesday, June 15 at 7:30 p.m.
5. Be able to attend the audition on Saturday, April 9 between 1:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Students need to select an audition piece that is:
1. A solo with concert band accompaniment. The WMB will purchase the accompaniment, but the student needs to purchase the solo part. Students can search the Internet or go to their private teachers for advice on music selection.
2. The Wheaton Municipal Band has some music available, but it is up to the student to select appropriate music.
3. The music should be at the student’s ability level.
4. The music needs to be appealing to the audience.
5. For vocalists, the music must be in the appropriate key. The band will not be able to transpose any music.
6. The piece should not exceed 5 minutes in length. There can be cuts, but the solo music should not exceed 5 minutes.
For more information and to make an appointment for an audition time, contact Gail Sonkin email@example.com 630-260-1288.
Copyright © 2016 Wheaton Municipal Band